The place to chat about vintage Pocket Watches.

Moderator: Boomertime

Help me id this gift Waltham Pocket watch

Postby watchbuff » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Ok
I know little to nothing about PW's
A dear friend gave this as a gift and need help on exactly what it is and how to care for it. Its a Waltham Pocket watch and after sitting in his draweer since 1958 He sent it to ma, I gave it a few winds,and set the time and it works perfectly.
The crystal is on a hinge to get to the dial(why would you want to???) and the back has a hinge compartment for a picture and another hing to look at the movement.
Its beutiful and i want to give it a polisd but not sure how to care for it. Maybe Boomer you can help or someone out there thats saavy on these.
It came with a poclet knife and a handsome chain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Time is the fire in which we all burn."
watchbuff

Re: Help me id this gift Waltham Pocket watch

Postby TIME MACHINE » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi, Justin is correct, that style waltham was carried quite a bit by the "man on the street" due to the fact it fit handily in the vest pocket and was lightweight...Can you imagine those old railroad boys at the turn of the century lugging about this huge 18 and sometimes 20 size watches? After 1910 or so, the 18 size were on their way out, replaced by the 16 size...the last Illinois 18 Size Bunn Special was made around 1924...
Hope You Find The Watch Of Your Dreams!

Tom Dunn
TIME MACHINE

NAWCC# 0132428
http://www.rrwatch.net

TIME MACHINE

Re: Help me id this gift Waltham Pocket watch

Postby Boomertime » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:54 am

Watchbuff,
We operate our business as a 100% full time vintage timepiece business so we are "usually" never in our office/shop to respond to calls, emails or posts on the Watch and Clock Forum during evenings or weekends. I am sorry that your inquiry came out while we were closed. However, now it is Monday morning, and even though it is Labor Day, I am back here in the "salt mine" going at it again.

It looks as if Justin gave you the "readers digest" version with size, model number and production date. If you might have wanted a complete & professional detailed 2 page bonded appraisal complete with current retail replacement value, along with professional internal cleaning & overhaul as well as external refinishing,,, we can provide 100% professional antique timepiece restoration.
Doc Tick-Tock, Boomer
Boomer has always said there is no time like the present,,, and there is no present like "the time" !!!
Image http://www.boomertime.com/
Boomertime