If your a watch, or clockmaker, a student, or thinking about becoming one. This is the forum for you.

Moderator: David Walter

Micromechanics Exam!!

Postby stubbornrock » Thu May 28, 2009 8:06 pm

my micromechanics exam is in 3 weeks! does anyone have suggestions, or experiances they can share concerning the pivot gauge or winding stem exams?
stubbornrock

Re: Micromechanics Exam!!

Postby R_Wostep09 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:58 pm

Just practice a lot, try to gain as much speed as possible because the speed is important when you are making the winding stem.

What can I say? It's just repeating after repeating. And don't become nervous, everything becomes more difficult if you are stressed, but sometimes that is hard to avoid.
R_Wostep09

Postby honolulu_horologist » Fri May 29, 2009 12:28 am

R_Wostep09 wrote:Just practice a lot, try to gain as much speed as possible because the speed is important when you are making the winding stem.

What can I say? It's just repeating after repeating. And don't become nervous, everything becomes more difficult if you are stressed, but sometimes that is hard to avoid.

I agree. If you can easily make a stem or pivot gauge in 3/4 to 1/2 the time alloted for the test, it should give you time during the exam to fix the (inevitable) mistakes. Good luck, may you score at least a 5!

EH
honolulu_horologist

Postby stubbornrock » Fri May 29, 2009 7:11 pm

thanks! I am making the pivot gauge in about 4 hours, but I haven't timed myself on the winding stem (I think it's around 6 hours). I've made so many pivot gauges that I have nightmares about them. It's going to be so much of a relief to finish micromechanics and get on to gear train.
stubbornrock

Postby honolulu_horologist » Sat May 30, 2009 5:22 am

You'll love actually working on watches, but in a couple years you'll be wishing you owned a lathe... How strange is that?
honolulu_horologist

Postby R_Wostep09 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:43 am

It's going to be so much of a relief to finish micromechanics and get on to gear train.

I'm pretty sure you will take these words back very soon. Micro-mechanics is the absolute must fun in watchmaking and the most important skills to have. If you don't have micro-mechanics, you'll never become a real watchmaker.

I was just finishing my schoolwatch where all my micro-mechanical skills combined in one piece. If I didn't spent 1 year filing, turning, making treads, polishing and so on and on and training myself in 3 dimensional thinking, that awesome schoolwatch of mine never would have been the same.

P.S. I graduated yesterday from WOSTEP Neuchatel and I already have bought one lathe, plus my father has one lathe he never uses so I have two now and there is a plan to buy a Schaublin 70 hopefully as soon as possible. I also have two Jacot tools and I just bought A LOT of different burnishers. I love micro-mechanics and I really hope it will be a big part of my work in the future.
R_Wostep09

Postby honolulu_horologist » Sat May 30, 2009 6:04 am

R_Wostep09 wrote:
It's going to be so much of a relief to finish micromechanics and get on to gear train.

I'm pretty sure you will take these words back very soon. Micro-mechanics is the absolute must fun in watchmaking and the most important skills to have. If you don't have micro-mechanics, you'll never become a real watchmaker.

I was just finishing my schoolwatch where all my micro-mechanical skills combined in one piece. If I didn't spent 1 year filing, turning, making treads, polishing and so on and on and training myself in 3 dimensional thinking, that awesome schoolwatch of mine never would have been the same.

P.S. I graduated yesterday from WOSTEP Neuchatel and I already have bought one lathe, plus my father has one lathe he never uses so I have two now and there is a plan to buy a Schaublin 70 hopefully as soon as possible. I also have two Jacot tools and I just bought A LOT of different burnishers. I love micro-mechanics and I really hope it will be a big part of my work in the future.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You've made it through the toughest WOSTEP school on the planet. I am envious, I would much rather have the prestige of going through the original school, though it's not cost effective for the rest of us in the US. You can comfortably say you were trained by the best! I too hope micro-mechanics becomes a big part of your career, though for most of us it's just a stepping stone on the way to becoming a 'technician'... Best of luck to you!

EH
honolulu_horologist

Postby honolulu_horologist » Sat May 30, 2009 6:11 am

One more thought about the pivot gauge:

My girlfriend (also a WOSTEP watchmaker) recommends making 2 during the time alloted for the test, then turning in the best one. I never considered this approach, but it sounds completely logical since you can scrap the worse specimen at any time during the test and work only on your good piece. Worth giving a try, the body of the pivot gauge is a very basic (and easily repeatable) shape. When you get that 5.9, let us know!

EH
honolulu_horologist

Postby R_Wostep09 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:20 am

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You've made it through the toughest WOSTEP school on the planet. I am envious, I would much rather have the prestige of going through the original school, though it's not cost effective for the rest of us in the US. You can comfortably say you were trained by the best! I too hope micro-mechanics becomes a big part of your career, though for most of us it's just a stepping stone on the way to becoming a 'technician'... Best of luck to you!

Thanks! It was quite tough two years, I can't deny that, but still the teaching methods somehow make it easy. The best two years of my life, without a doubt. Today, I'm feeling empty and I hate it. I don't have school on Monday and it will take me some time to get used to it. I'm still realizing I just graduated but I think I just don't want to accept the fact that there will be no more WOSTEP ...
R_Wostep09

Postby honolulu_horologist » Sat May 30, 2009 2:22 pm

R_Wostep09 wrote:

Thanks! It was quite tough two years, I can't deny that, but still the teaching methods somehow make it easy. The best two years of my life, without a doubt. Today, I'm feeling empty and I hate it. I don't have school on Monday and it will take me some time to get used to it. I'm still realizing I just graduated but I think I just don't want to accept the fact that there will be no more WOSTEP ...

Now the fun begins: Go put it all to use!!!
honolulu_horologist

Postby 16710 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi there, I did the stem and gauge a few months ago. I think I did fairly well on the stem as I had 5.21 on the pre-test and i felt I did better on the WOSTEP exam. The gauge is opposite, had 5.44 pre but doubt i will reach 5 on the WOSTEP one... Two friends broke theirs while polishing the pivot so I cut my losses and left it half polished. Also had one measurement 0.02 below tolerance which costs some points.

My advise is to buy a Bergeon 2931 Widia Stem Graver if you haven't already done so. Then find a way to sharpen it so its tip is perfectly flat. It's essential for making the corners on both the stem and the gauge. I "invented" a little tool to help sharpen it.

Other than that, keep cool... when you harden the stem, just soak it in normal oil and dont use any coal. Then when you lower it into the water after heating, keep it perfectly vertical and lower it straight down rapidly. I found this way there was never any bent stems after hardening...

If i think of anything else Ill post it.

Postby stubbornrock » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:03 pm

is that the slot cutting graver that came in the WOSTEP tool kit you're talking about, 16710?
stubbornrock

Postby 16710 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Not sure as we do not have to buy the whole WOSTEP toolkit, but go to this url

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/6/0/1080.aspx

click Gravers Miscellaneous and then Bergeon 2931 Stem graver, and youll see it. Its 0.5mm wide and square tipped. Very useful. I made the whole winding stem using only this graver and a normal lozenge shaped graver.

Postby Thomas Carey » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Do you students get some sort of discount on buying your tool sets as part of the course? I know that auto mechanics get this sort of deal at the schools they attend.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

W&CF Admin & Sole Owner
Thomas Carey
Site Admin

Postby R_Wostep09 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 am

16710: click Gravers Miscellaneous and then Bergeon 2931 Stem graver, and youll see it.

This specific graver was in the set I bought. Never used it though. My teacher said it wasn't any good, the blade was too long and too thin and you never knew when it would explode in your face. So he recommend for us to make our own slot graver out of broken hard metal drills with 3 mm shaft. It worked perfectly and now I have a stock of many different slot gravers with different thicknesses and lengths. Brilliant.

Thomas Carey: Do you students get some sort of discount on buying your tool sets as part of the course?

Yes, every company that sells watchmaking tools. At least it's like that for WOSTEP Neuchatel students. It should be like that for the partnerships schools as well.
R_Wostep09

Next