If your a watch, or clockmaker, a student, or thinking about becoming one. This is the forum for you.

Moderator: David Walter

Re: New Moderator

Postby R_Wostep09 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:00 am

Thomas Carey wrote:Speaking of tools. What tools would you suggest that students make while they have the chances?

Are they any of you wish you would have made but did not when you had the chance?

The tools I made during the course that I use the most in daily life are: 1) a truing wheel caliper 2) the barrel closer 3) the staking block 4) a thin, long pin with 45° inclined point I use to check for end-shakes and checking the safety of the pallet fork 5) the V-tool for dynamic poising a balance 6) three face cutter 7) pallet fork holder.

However, my daily life tools are far different from my glorious school days. I used a lot the stand for gravers while I was turning as a psycho as well as the polishing tool and the hand vice. I also used quite a lot my punch while I was drilling holes for new tools. I don't have to use those tools anymore, except once in a while the polishing tool to refresh screws. Unfortunately I don't have much need for my lathe but it's nice to occasionally do some turning work but then I don't normally use the graver stand as it's only for a short time I have to use the lathe and only one graver. Hopefully I can find the need for those tools again ... but for the moment my work doesn't require me to do so.

There are few tools I wish I would have made. A small round staking block in plastic for instance. I also would like to have made some sort of tool where I can rest the balance bridge on and the balance is free, not touching anything and therefore not messing with the oil on the pivots. It happens too often that after I put oil on the cap jewels, I have to remove the balance and then I have oil on the pivots. I don't want the pivots to touch anything. But then again, balance bridges are different from one caliber to another so I would have had to make several of them.
R_Wostep09

Postby horomancer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Do you mean a Balance Tac? It's basically a long brass needle on a base. You set the balance on it through one of the balance cock's screw holes and the balance wheel is suspended in mid-air by it's spring. I never liked them, since I never liked suspending the the balance by it's spring. I know new balances are proportioned to handle that kind of stress, but old balances with massive wheels and blued steel springs seem like they would distort very quickly.

I'm constantly wishing i had better lathe equipment, since I often find myself unable to get parts, or having to do finishing work on a case where chucking it up would speed my progress greatly. Making lathe tooling would be hard work, and you can probably buy it for much cheaper than your labor, but then you'll always run the risk of it not being it truly functional condition if it's not brand new.

Oh something that would be a good project. Collet Closer. It's a tiny vice with a series of holes drilled into the jaws so you can grip a brass spring collet and tighten it up. Very handy if you have to restaff a balance and the new staff is slightly undersized.
horomancer

Postby R_Wostep09 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:54 pm

horomancer wrote:Do you mean a Balance Tac? It's basically a long brass needle on a base. You set the balance on it through one of the balance cock's screw holes and the balance wheel is suspended in mid-air by it's spring. I never liked them, since I never liked suspending the the balance by it's spring. I know new balances are proportioned to handle that kind of stress, but old balances with massive wheels and blued steel springs seem like they would distort very quickly.

I'm constantly wishing i had better lathe equipment, since I often find myself unable to get parts, or having to do finishing work on a case where chucking it up would speed my progress greatly. Making lathe tooling would be hard work, and you can probably buy it for much cheaper than your labor, but then you'll always run the risk of it not being it truly functional condition if it's not brand new.

Oh something that would be a good project. Collet Closer. It's a tiny vice with a series of holes drilled into the jaws so you can grip a brass spring collet and tighten it up. Very handy if you have to restaff a balance and the new staff is slightly undersized.

That sure is one tool that could easily be made but I was thinking of something more advanced. I agree with you, old balance would not work because it's too heavy. I saw this one time a tool in a video about A. Lange & Söhne. I'm gonna try to find it.

Ok, here it is. This is actually a really cool video. The tool you will see at 1:18. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AnyED9ark0

And yes, that tool you mentioned, the collet closer, is really handy. It shouldn't be that difficult to make if you have decent machinery.
R_Wostep09

Postby horomancer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:11 am

I see. A balance tac with plastic post to support the weight of the balance. That wouldn't be hard to do at all. You could place a screw at the bottom to lock the plastic posts hight, then just adjust it to fit what ever balance you had. Clever, and I feel oddly ashamed I didn't see it before.
horomancer

Tooling

Postby David Walter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:19 am

As the subject of tools has arisen, I thought I would post this, I just brought a step collet and closer to fit by big lathe which uses Schaublin W20 collets, I am sure you have all seen step collets before but this is the largest I have.
The largest step is 128mm, These are hard to find and very useful.
The large disc closer is screwed to the spindle and the collet is tightened up with the drawbar to close the collet.

David Walter

Re: Tooling

Postby Thomas Carey » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:51 pm

David Walter wrote:As the subject of tools has arisen, I thought I would post this, I just brought a step collet and closer to fit by big lathe which uses Schaublin W20 collets, I am sure you have all seen step collets before but this is the largest I have.
The largest step is 128mm, These are hard to find and very useful.
The large disc closer is screwed to the spindle and the collet is tightened up with the drawbar to close the collet.

David,

Are you having to source tooling such as this in Europe, or are you able to find tooling you require in N. America?

Are there any sources you commonly use to locate this sort of tooling?

W&CF Admin & Sole Owner
Thomas Carey
Site Admin

Previous