Watch Reviews from Professional Sources and from Members

Xetum Tyndall Quick Review

Postby Thomas Carey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Movement

* Swiss-made ETA 2895-2 elaboree automatic movement with 27 jewels and small second indicator
* 42 hour power reserve; 28,800 A/h oscillating frequency

Case

* 316L surgical stainless steel case
* Sapphire front crystal with interior anti-reflective coating
* Exhibition case back with scratch-resistant K1 hardened mineral crystal
* screw down crown
* 40mm diameter x 11mm thickness
* 10 ATM (100 meters) water resistant

Dial and hands

* Matte black dial
* Recessed small second subdial
* 24H markers on inner chapter ring
* Super-LumiNova on 12, 3, 6, 9 hour indexes and hr/min hands

Strap and buckle

* Black naturally tanned leather strap with Italian cork lining
* Pushbutton release butterfly clasp with engraved Xetum logo

Xetum is a brand new brand headed by a fine young man by the name of Jeff Kuo.

Xetum was founded by longtime wristwatch and design aficionado Jeff Kuo. Jeff founded Xetum after having been unable, over the course of a decade, to find a timepiece that had the appropriate blend of modern design, Swiss mechanical components and accessible pricing. The Xetum timepiece collection represents the culmination of this decade long search. In his spare time, Jeff enjoys running anywhere with great natural scenery and finding golf courses that tolerate amateur players like himself.

I very much like the watch box it comes in as its not quite what most other brands use. My guess is the cost to the company is slightly more than what others in this price range typically use.

I think the overall quality of this box is the right balance for a watch of this quality and price. Now many will not worry about the box it came in. But as its one of the first things you see. This is a big deal to me.

Overall I am very impressed by this fledgling brands first efforts. I love the clean design which does away with lugs on the case.

Many will find the case at 40mm to be too small. This is about as small a case size as typically like. Many will also notice that the watch is rather thick at 11mm given the case width.

This is any area where I feel they lost their way in terms of balance. Tthe case height in my view should be about 7-8mm to balance well with the case width.

If the case width were 43mm or more, I feel the case height at 11mm would be more appropriate. Certainly the overall balance would be better.

Another area where I would like to see a change is the crown. But many will not agree with me on this issue. i would rather it had a more conventional shape.

I do like the fairly straight forward dial. Which makes it quite easy to tell the time with a quick glance.

If you have a large wrist you may well find the strap on these will not fit your wrist. On my 7 3/4" wrist the strap only had two holes left of adjustment. So i highly suggest a switch to longer straps which will fit these comfortably on to the wrist of someone who has a size which is say 8 1/2" - 8 3/4" .

Overall the fit and finish of the watch is quite good and is of the level I would expect for a watch at this price point.

I find the type of deployment being used to be quite comfortable which can be an issue on a strap which is fitted with a deployment as many of you know well.

Bottom line is if your looking for a nice 40mm watch with an ETA 2895 movement. But don't care of the watch does not easily hide away under a shirt sleeve. This watch is well worth your consideration.

I am quite pleased with Xetum's first efforts and look forward to seeing this young company grow. I am quite sure they have a bright future in store. If you like what you see I chances are you will be quite pleased with this watch.

W&CF Admin & Sole Owner
Thomas Carey
Site Admin