Your home for the general discussion of watches. (If it's not about watches, please go to the Member's Lounge)

Moderator: mtbbrian

Re: JS Watch company movements etc?

Postby JS Founder » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:26 pm

"things are a changing" women with mechanical watches,,,,,,,,,,etc. just wait and see :-)

Julli
JS Founder

Postby Narwhal » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:02 pm

JS Founder wrote:"things are a changing" women with mechanical watches,,,,,,,,,,etc. just wait and see :-)

Julli

You're telling me! Here are my wife's two watches:

Westbury vintage alarm watch with AS handwind movement:

And this PRS-6 with a FHF 1380-11 handwound movement:

Are you telling me there is a JS Watch in her future?! That 101 sure looks nice.
-BEST REGARDS-
Narwhal

Postby JS Founder » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:51 am

I like the Westbury..........both the watch and the AS movement, I guess you don't have to wait for her to get into "real" watches, she already there.

Julli
JS Founder

Postby W&CF Staff » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:10 am

JS Founder wrote:I like the Westbury..........both the watch and the AS movement, I guess you don't have to wait for her to get into "real" watches, she already there.

Julli

I agree.
Bad enough that you purchase fine watches. (an expensive habit)
But, the wife, too?
Double indemnity!
W&CF Staff

Postby Narwhal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:52 am

We got the Westbury in NOS mint condition and it still had the tags on it! What the photo unfortunately doesn't show is the red arrowed alarm hand - it's hidden under the hour hand - I need to take another photo of it. The alarm is good and LOUD! Also, I need to get her a nice croc strap for it. BTW - the croc strap delivered with my Frisland is BUTTER soft. It's the softest croc I have ever owned and just the right thickness. Well done.

The PRS6 in that photo doesn't look as elegant as it appears in real life - but it wears nicely on her wrist.

Since this thread is about JS Movements - is there any plan to develop any in-house movements? (I assume that is a HUGE step)
-BEST REGARDS-
Narwhal

Postby JS Founder » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:43 am

To be honest I do not see that in the near future, mind you tough that to become a manufacture house would be great.

We have a lot to say about our movements and control the production to a high degree, that will suffice for now. Our relationship with ETA is good and the movements great, the only need for in house movement would be for special projects.

In our special editions we do change a lot regarding the movement "Unitas" new bridges, Rubies, escapement etc. We feel that this is "JS Watch co." movement even though the main plate is ETA/Unitas.

Julli
JS Founder

Postby W&CF Staff » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:57 am

Also, I should add, that to have your own movement built from "the ground up" would be awfully expensive!
Cost prohibitive unless you wish to charge a fortune for a JS watch.

This is why you see the US$318,000 price tags on many watches, for example.
W&CF Staff

Postby Narwhal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:46 am

I agree it is a huge step. Nomos does this, but their volume is much higher and they are in a larger market. And the ETA's used in these watches are incredibly finished.

Please keep us posted on any new projects special edition or otherwise!
-BEST REGARDS-
Narwhal

Postby JS Founder » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:52 pm

The Nomos movement was based on ETA/Peseux 7001 modified with 3/4 plate, I do like their watches and their approach to making their own movement step by step. And boy do they make cool watches...........on my list to buy, almost picked up a Tangente EUR 550 but no box and paper and no display back, I figured I better save a little longer and get one new :-)

Julli
JS Founder

Postby Narwhal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:09 pm

Well - I was actually saving up for one of the new larger nomos club models due out soon, when I came across this JS Watch Co. website and... :)
-BEST REGARDS-
Narwhal

Postby JS Founder » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:07 pm

Soprod A10

What is your take on that movement? It looks very nice in my opinion and Soprod is a reputable company with a long history.

It has the same dimentions as ETA 2892-2A, 25.60 mm and 3.60 mm.

Julli
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JS Founder

Postby Thomas Carey » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:04 pm

I think the Soprod movements are a great choice! =) I know other companies are moving towards their movements as well.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

W&CF Admin & Sole Owner
Thomas Carey
Site Admin

Postby JS Founder » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:39 pm

We are not in that crowd yet but the movement sure looks good!

Julli
JS Founder

Postby Narwhal » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:34 pm

It does look very nice. Has the Chinese takeover of the company changed Swatch's position of supplying parts for the assembly of the movement? I wonder if quality has been effected in any way.
-BEST REGARDS-
Narwhal

Postby JS Founder » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:26 am

The A10 has nothing to do with the Swatch group, in my understanding it is a Soprod venture independent of ETA/Swatch! We are on good terms with ETA and happy with the movements we get.

About the effects of the big powerhouses on movement production I could not say.....to complicated for me (I just want to make watches)

Julli
JS Founder

PreviousNext