If your a watch, or clockmaker, a student, or thinking about becoming one. This is the forum for you.

Moderator: David Walter

Re: Micromechanics Exam!!

Postby David Walter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:33 am

Light straw, no more than that
David Walter

Postby 16710 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 am

got a 5,64 score on the Winding stem, obviously the Widia graver works fine for some of us ;)

Postby stubbornrock » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:51 pm

is there a good supplier of widia gravers? please don't say bergeon.
stubbornrock

Postby honolulu_horologist » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:32 am

16710 wrote:got a 5,64 score on the Winding stem, obviously the Widia graver works fine for some of us ;)

Congratulations, that's a fine score!
honolulu_horologist

Postby Thomas Carey » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:42 pm

For those of us that don't know. Can any of you tell us how the scoring works and what the scale or range is?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

W&CF Admin & Sole Owner
Thomas Carey
Site Admin

Postby honolulu_horologist » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:47 pm

6.0 is the maximum score possible (don't ask me why, I'm not really sure). However, NOBODY ever gets a '6' as a final score. The thinking behind this seems to be 'nothing is ever perfect.'
honolulu_horologist

Postby 16710 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:10 am

I know of one 6.0 score on the Pinion Gauge, but never heard of 6.0 on the winding stem.

Scores are given in different areas, most important is function, i.e measurements etc... then comes finish, such as polishing, blueing etc. Scores are weighted.

You need 4.0 to pass. However youre allowed one score over 3.5 but below 4, as long as your average is over 4.5 ( Not 100% on the numbers but something like that).

honolulu: thanks :)

Postby stubbornrock » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:11 pm

I've only heard of people getting a 6 on pivot gauge, but I hear that it's possible for the winding stem. getting a 6 on any of the other exams I hear is impossible though. one guy in the class ahead of me got a 5.97 on his pivot gauge. he would have gotten a 6 if he hadn't slipped onto the taper while burnishing.
stubbornrock

Postby R_Wostep09 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:For those of us that don't know. Can any of you tell us how the scoring works and what the scale or range is?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

The highest score is 6,0 as Honolulu answered and the reason why is because WOSTEP is a Swiss school and 6,0 is always a highest mark in Switzerland.

The function is always 40% (meaning, is it complete, not broken, not bent and so on). Function is either Yes or No. If it's yes, you've already gotten most of the exam. Then it's measurements and there you can have a score between 1,0-6,0, depending if the measurements are inside the tolerances. If one measurement is outside, you get maybe 5,0, if you have two measurements outside you get maybe a 4,0 ... Then you have for instance how well the corners are turned, are they sharp or not and you will get a separate score for the corners (between 1,0-6,0). Then the cylinder, do they have a round edges or not, and you get a separate score for that. The slot of the winding stem is also important, is the slot straight and have straight sides or not. The filing also is important (you have to file the square) so they check if the filing is straight, are the corners sharp or not and how is the surface finishing. At last, they check the polishing of the cylinders.

The grading system is really good at WOSTEP, as every section is independent and has an independent score. It's just depending on the person checking the exam if that person is qualified or not for the job.

The winding stem exam was basically perfect for me, I scored 5,80 at Neuchatel and that is considered perfect more or less.
R_Wostep09

Postby stubbornrock » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:00 pm

micromechanics results are in. 5.16 on the pivot gauge and 5.86 on the winding stem.
stubbornrock

Postby Thomas Carey » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:41 pm

stubbornrock wrote:micromechanics results are in. 5.16 on the pivot gauge and 5.86 on the winding stem.

Great Job! So what are you on to next?

W&CF Admin & Sole Owner
Thomas Carey
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Carey » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:42 pm

chefwalters wrote:Congratulations, you have done well. I hope to be in the same position next year. I go to interview next month for WOSTEP, and am looking forward to hopefully getting in.

Please keep us posted on this. Where do you plan on going to school?

W&CF Admin & Sole Owner
Thomas Carey
Site Admin

Postby stubbornrock » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:30 pm

directly after the micromechanics exam, I did quartz. now I am on gear train.
stubbornrock

Postby Thomas Carey » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:35 pm

stubbornrock wrote:directly after the micromechanics exam, I did quartz. now I am on gear train.

How much time is spent on quartz? I am guessing for the most part many of the movements you would likely encounter in the field would simply be replaced if its more than say a bad battery correct?

W&CF Admin & Sole Owner
Thomas Carey
Site Admin

Postby stubbornrock » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:
stubbornrock wrote:directly after the micromechanics exam, I did quartz. now I am on gear train.

How much time is spent on quartz? I am guessing for the most part many of the movements you would likely encounter in the field would simply be replaced if its more than say a bad battery correct?

we do only about a month of quartz training, because of the simplicity of working on them and because we usually just swap out quartz movements instead of fixing/servicing them.
stubbornrock

PreviousNext