If your a watch, or clockmaker, a student, or thinking about becoming one. This is the forum for you.

Moderator: David Walter

Re: Escapement Design

Postby David Walter » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:03 am

You haven't marked the direction of rotation on the drawing, it looks like it may be anti-clockwise. If that is so I also don't see how it can have no recoil.
You don't mention or indicate the drop of the pin to the escape wheel but you should know all drop is a loss creating a loud "tick' which many like but is undesirable as is a large swing of the pendulum.

Clocks have been made with the pallets directly built into the pendulums but there is always the risk damage should the clock receive a knock.
David Walter

Postby David Walter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:30 am

Yes, I think you have understood recoil correctly, but to be clear recoil takes place after after the drop and when the wheel is locked.
As you have it drawn and with anti-clockwise rotation of the escape wheel you will have recoil after the locking, unless the locking takes place towards the center of the wheel and past the knuckle of the tooth even then I am not sure. This, if it works will need the large angle of swing to operate. The next problem is with a small pin and so much drop there is little impulse available to keep it running.
The main fault with too much drop is that the drop is at the expense of impulse which effects the performance of the escapement
David Walter

Postby rayfrank » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:53 am

This one is the nice concept about the escapement design and the pendulum for the watch.I like here the theory used here to understand the concept is very nice and easily understand.I am also like to say that the graph and the figure is used here to understand the pendulum concept is nice to know about this thing.
rayfrank